A crawl space is Nashville’s answer to a basement. Homebuilders run the electrical, plumbing, and HVAC connections into the short clearance under the house. Some crawl spaces can be full-height, like a basement; others can be two feet tall. (You “crawl” around on your hands and knees.)
While they are convenient for storage, crawl spaces are prone to problems. Since the space below is “below grade,” a poorly maintained home can collect water, attract pests, and support mold. Managing overall moisture is different in each home. You need an expert to come to figure out what’s causing the moisture and then install a customized solution.
Crawl Space Cleanup in Nashville
Prevent Future Problems
In high-humidity climates like Nashville, crawlspaces may need to be sealed to create a conditioned space. Vents, gaps, and other openings are sealed, and a vapor barrier is installed on the floor and walls of the crawlspace. Dehumidifiers and fans are installed to maintain a steady, moderate humidity level in the crawlspace.
Mold cannot grow without moisture or high humidity so that the Tier team will determine the cause of (and the solutions to) the elevated moisture and water in your home. Common causes could be:
- Insufficient gutter and downspouts extensions. If your system does not carry rainwater at least 6 to 10 feet from the foundation, it could find its way in.
- The pitch of the yard slopes toward the house, channeling water in.
- Condensation on poorly insulated, damaged, or broken ductwork can puddle moisture in the crawlspace.
- The condensate drain from the HVAC unit can deposit up to 20 gallons of water daily into the area.
- Cracks in the foundation wall or exterior wall sealant can allow excess groundwater
- Leaks at window and door openings or unsealed building exteriors will let water in
- Dryer vents and fans that direct moist air from laundry rooms and bathrooms raise overall humidity.
- An inadequate or nonexistent vapor barrier can allow excess ground moisture to evaporate into the crawlspace.
- Inadequate ( or permanently stuck) foundation vents keep excess humidity in the crawl space.
Some solutions require simply improving the ventilation or installing a dehumidifier for a long-term solution. Sometimes the best solution is to install moisture barriers and/or a high-tech encapsulation solution.
Tier Restoration Works With All Insurance Companies
Tier’s slogan is “Experience The Next Level,” so they specialize in ensuring your insurance company treats you properly. They work with insurance companies and adjustors to resolve difficult claims to your satisfaction. By knowing the rules, providing excellent documentation, and working with all the major insurance providers, the years of experience will benefit your situation.
When You Find Water, Mold, Or Problems in Your Nashville Crawlspace
Tier Restoration has been helping homeowners solve water, mold, and moisture issues since 1975. Trained, experienced, certified technicians can dehumidify or remove mold that has invaded your crawlspace. By improving the home’s condition, they will also improve the air quality in your home.
Call for 24/7 support. “Experience The Next Level”! We intend to create a “next level” experience for our clients, our employees, and the company.